Thursday, March 20, 2008

The Simple Things



I went wandering with my camera today to try and shake the melancholy I've been feeling all day. Saying goodbye to Whiskey yesterday was more difficult than I had anticipated. Spending a whole week with him was wonderful, but I grew more and more attached as each day passed. I had a really hard time letting go. I can't imagine what I would be going through right now if he was my dog.

I feel such freedom when I am taking pictures. As soon as I plant my tripod into the ground, and set my camera at that perfect angle and peer through the viewfinder, I am completely in the present moment. All that exists is my subject, whatever it is in that moment, and everything else fades away. I can lose myself for a good hour in one little patch of new growth in a garden, or the mossy base of a tree, or the barnacle covered rocks near the ocean, or even an old worn out tractor covered in colourful rust. The past and future instantly dissolve and here I am... gazing in wonderment, as I think to myself, how precious the simple things are.

6 comments:

  1. "how precious the simple things are..."

    These are the things that end up being the most important of all sometimes...the simple things.

    How often I have looked at something so simple, saw it as precious, and came to realize that in someway it was actually a reflection of a part of myself.

    You dear heart, are simply precious.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely understand your attachment...I had my heart captured many atime by a sweet furry heart.

    I love how you discribe getting 'lost' with your camera. To me, that is one of the most wonderful, and deeply personal aspects of creativity...

    Precious and simple...
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. When i lift up my camera...life disappears as i know it...and i'm travelling withing a world of wonder! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking of you and Whiskey when you wrote about this, sounds like such a sweet little chap, bless him. I love your photos, so soft and elegant. I too get lost in the finder, love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is beautiful. "The past and future instantly dissolve and here I am"- the simple, here-and-now moments are the most important. It's all we have.
    I'm enjoying backtracking through your blog and reading some super posts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's the greatest gift a camera bestows, isn't it? The way time stills. The way you really, really learn to see. The way the whole world turns beautiful.

    ReplyDelete