Sunday, November 6, 2011

Monochromatically Thinking


Oh, November.... I didn't think it would ever happen, but you've managed to woo me.

It seems like a slate grey, dreary month sandwiched between two colourful, magical ones. Or at least, that is what November used to feel like. This year feels beautifully different. 

There is still a riot of colour outside. Fall came late to my neck of the woods. And so, I can still weave myself between the trees, watch the leaves fall ever so gracefully and pretend it is still my beloved October. I had a hard time letting go this year. So it goes with most things in my life... I get too attached. But, as much as I love to bundle myself in the warmth of all that colour as I do my morning mountain climb, I turn away from it when my camera is in my hands. For the first time in a very long time, I find myself accepting November just as is. 

I like the grey. I'm drawn to the pale pastel hues of an understated month. I am waiting for the sun to resign itself to the fog, so I can see the world in indistinct lines and soft shapes, and feel the hush of the earth as it prepares to sleep.

Stillness is what I crave. A little bit of down time before the holly jolly, making merry mayhem sets in. 
So, November, I stand with open arms to you... accepting your quiet gifts... sheepishly wishing I had been more grateful in years past.

12 comments:

  1. I'm having a harder time accepting November, feels as though September and October went by in a blink of an eye and I'm not quite ready for Winter just yet. Thankfully there is still some color left on the trees but I don't think it will be much longer before it's gone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on the same wave length. There is so much sun here in Houston. I want some dark ominous clouds, rain, fog, mist....anything but endless days of the same. Beautiful words Jamie to describe November. I too welcome the Earth to rest awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have also been wooed by november....well at least so far.

    and this photo....WOW....but you always seem to take my breath away with your talent, so i'm not surprised this photo made my jaw drop, too :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wooed too...and this post is just beautiful. So soft and a reminder of all the things I need to be grateful for. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love November - especially its monochrome color palette. Altho I hadn't considered it as a respite month before the holiday craziness..I suppose - that's exactly what it is. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've captured our beautiful greys perfectly Jaime. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nope...no wooing of November in Saskatchewan...I'm "booing" it rather than 'wooing" it. Too much snow already. :(

    But your photos makes me happy Jaime!
    xo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh you... you have such a beautiful way with words.
    the colors are at their peak in my neck of the woods but I understand this so well. There is a beauty to November - a reflective month I think. Fitting that Thanksgiving falls within it's span.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I adore this post, so poetic.

    I was looking out the window at dismal misty grey, disappointed at the lack of sunlight to photograph...

    You've inspired me to go out anyway, chase the mists and see what beauty I can capture...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been a fan of November either but this year it's different. Maybe because it's warmer and the colours are still here ... I'm not sure. You've captured the beautiful softness so perfectly. I hope you find some stillness this month. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. i prefer understated, love the softness of greys and fading colors. and right now, in the middle of this craziness we call 2011, i think a bit of softness is what we need. bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Have I really not commented on this. I know I've read it, savored it, many times. I do love your way with words.

    ReplyDelete