Saturday, June 28, 2008

Sailing Away


This is a place I like to go when the days are warm, and the sun sparkles reflecting off the ocean practically surround me. It is a bluff, covered with long grasses and wildflowers. It sticks out quite far, so if you look down on either side, you see ocean. And when you look out, it is almost as if you are on the bow of a massive ship, headed straight toward the majestic Olympic mountains, still covered in a frosty blanket of snow. I sit on my imaginary ship, and dream to be on this beauty that sails across my line of vision. Where is it going? Where did it come from? The people on this boat must feel so free. Are they just island hopping for the day, or are they on a more worldly quest?

I can taste freedom in this moment. My work is done. The recital went so incredibly well. And now I am finally able to settle into summer mode. Two wonderful months to sink into a slower pace and come back to myself. Tomorrow, I am going back to the place that is most nurturing to my soul. I will spend 4 days soaking up the sunshine, wandering the beaches, and connecting with some very special people.

I wish you all a wonderful week. I wish you warm dreamy days where your only requirement is to put on a pair of flip flops and wander out to share a lemon gelato with someone special. May you find the time to look up at the white puffy clouds and see wondrous creatures evolving, then disappearing in front of your eyes. May you take a quiet afternoon all to yourself and escape inside a good novel as you munch on seasonal berries and spit watermelon seeds. May you jump through sprinklers and make colorful chalk drawings on the sidewalk with a beloved child. May you build towering sandcastles and watch them dissolve in the incoming tide.

Maybe you are lucky enough to go sailing away on a boat such as this. If not, you can always come aboard the bow of my giant ship, and dream away the afternoon. There is plenty of room for all.

Much love to you...see you soon!
xo

15 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful and relaxing break Jaime...

    I adore this photo Jaime. So soft and romantic to my eye. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooohhhhh...some time for you to do some dreaming as well! Enjoy... and soak up all the beauty! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds like a wonderful place... and the photo looks so refreshing...
    glad he recital was a success and wish you a wonderful break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like a dream!!! Lovely image. Wishing you a restful and happy vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is a vision of breathtaking beauty! that blue dream-like quality creates a mood of fantasy for me that draws me right up close peer out to sea....and then you go and invite us onto the deck of your ship and i am so there! do i need a raincoat, sweatshirt or sundress? probably all three. the weather at the foot of those peaks must be as changeable as the winter tides. i could feel you let your breath out as you come to the end of your work season. what a free spirit you are! have a wonderful trip :) as always your post is enchanting dear jamie :)
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. i hope you have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are killing me with this. Okay - I just got my breath back - I'll be okay. This is incredible. It looks a place you made up in your mind, and then, being so wonderful, decided to go there to live. And THEN I see the place where you will be the next 4 days, and I feel the same way. I will think of you as I lay in the hammock, watching stars & clouds - I'm sure I'll see you floating by, a smile on your face.

    Love, Debi

    ReplyDelete
  8. enjoy!! how i miss the island and the bluffs on hornby and the pacific rim ocean spray and the long beaches filled with life ... sigh ...

    have a lovely lovely time, xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear the recital went well! I'm sure everyone involved is relieved.
    Have a sumputuous vacation at "the place" (I am a bit envious even if I am leaving for Hawaii on the 10th).
    Was that sail boat really there? It seems like a time traveller.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sigh... it all sounds so very beautiful indeed.

    I have come to feel this is such a comforting place for me... here amongst your words so lyrical and your photos of hope and light.

    I hope you have a glorious week, one filled with wonder and rest and stories to be bundled up and caressed all the way back home to 'here'.

    I will be thinking of you as I run through the sprinkler... color wildly on the cement... and make water balloon bombs for a boy young enough to still have stars in his eyes and me for his very favorite playmate.

    I shall kiss his sunny cheeks and warmly think of you thinking of us.

    love to you my beautiful friend... so much love.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am glad the recital went well. But I am not surprised. It's great that you can get out and enjoy the summer. You could say that "teaching piano is like banging your head against the wall . . . . because it feels good when you stop." Terrible joke, but there may be a thread of truth to it. Have a great time wherever you are.

    Did I mention that I spent three years on boats like this one? Your photography skills make me (almost) want to go back to it. Really. That shot is gorgeous and it captures the magic of the experience that I had almost forgotten about. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your words take me to places where i've never been....and even if i have, yours seem to have a perfume to it.
    Enjoy the day, and everyday there after!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This picture is pure, peaceful beauty. Your wishes are a poem. Sending love and peace to you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  14. stopping by, knocking on your garden gate to see if you are home yet :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. another breath-taking capture!!!
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete