Friday, October 3, 2008

Blankets in the Sky



Beautiful white anemones are quietly blooming in my mother's garden. Until yesterday, it seemed as though summer was enjoying her stay so much that she wanted to linger just a little longer this year.

But this morning, the faint melancholic sound of a foghorn pulled me from my dreams, and I woke to see a white glow coming from the window. I could see nothing but white...no ocean, no trees, just cloud. And I smiled as I welcomed Autumn. My most favourite time of year.

The mountain is a magical place when the fog rolls in. The higher I climbed this morning, the more dense the moving mist became. And it moves so fast. I looked up and saw a peculiar line in the sky. A very distinct grey line rolling over the mountain like a dying ocean wave rolling endlessly over the sand. I have seen clouds of mist move swiftly over the tree tops, swallowing them hungrily, but never a solid line rolling forward. It felt as though a blanket was being pulled over me and my mountain, inviting me to settle in and feel at home.

A few steps ahead of me, a fawn coloured rabbit hobbled along the path, grazing the tall honey grasses. His sweet brown eyes showed no sign of being bothered by my presence. Further up, I watched two fuzzy black feet and a little tail hop over the hill...and then he was gone.

As I walked through the deep forest on my way back, I noticed that the leaves are still very green here... except for the few random beauties that have turned golden before their time, glowing in the fog like little lanterns, guiding the faeries home.

Welcome back Autumn...thank you for your gifts this morning.

18 comments:

  1. That sure brought back some very fond memories of where I grew up. We lived at a higher elevation on Moloka'i, so we would get fog passing through from time to time. Just as you described it! As soon as we saw it rolling in across the gullies, we would run out into the yard and run in and out of it; like a hide and seek kind of game.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can i go with you where a peculiar line in the sky opens curtains..and guide fairies home??

    ;)

    j

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful...and magical. The photos are stunning (as usual).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still smiling at the vision of you moving forever up, up, up the mountainside.
    It was wonderful to be transported by your words and then knocked flat out of breath by the beauty you forever capture with your lens.

    I have missed you mightily this week :)

    all my love xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a beautiful description. you make me want to warm some cider, put it in a thermos and go for a long walk.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Autumn is a lovely season :-) I love your little white flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohh... your gentle words make me love autumn although it is certainly not my favourite season... and the anemones look gorgeous

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bonsoir !
    Il y a de très jolies photos sur ce blog...
    Je reviendrai...

    ReplyDelete
  9. well first of all thank you for that sweetest of sweet comments today! i adore you as well, you know that :) secondly i love anemones have hundreds of these little white beauties in avalon. but somehow your way of capturing them just makes them look like lovely white bedding, soft as feathers. i love that little drop of rain in the top one. and thirdly you have a way with your descriptions of nature that just make my heart lift. you make the world a more beautiful place with your words dear jamie..
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, how I love Autumn. Your descriptions today were nothing but poetry. Perfect. I could write for an hour and not tell you how perfect I thought this post was.

    Happy Autumn, my friend. I am going to bed tonight dreaming of joining you on a your walk one foggy morning. I'll bring along a thermos of wonderful hot chocolate, if you don't mind the company.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So poetic and beautifully written. Autumn really is a wondeful time of year....

    ReplyDelete
  12. So descriptive. Thank you!Just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely breathtaking! I always loved when it got thick and foggy on the island. :)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful, such an eloquent description. Mountain-life is magical that way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love Autumn too! And if I didn't like it before, I do now ;) You are so descriptive!
    You turned the leaves into lanterns with a turn of phrase. You are magical!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Always makes me want to come see, your mountain and ocean. Sounds wonderful where you live. And that fog I would have wanted to see. The anemones are one of my favourite flowers, that white is just so dainty and pretty :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The photos are a breath of rest, intricate with pattern and full of serenity. I breathe looking at them.

    The leaves here in Vermont are brilliant today with red, yellows, golden splendour, illuminated by sunshine. One wonders why the world doesn't stop to take it all in.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Autumn has not arrived yet in SF, but I love the description of yours. And those flowers are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete