Monday, January 20, 2014

Time Management


The months roll out, from one to the next as though they are on a conveyor belt that never stops churning, relentless. And yet with that persistent steady beat, why does the passing of time seem to change pace from minute to minute, month to month, year to year?

Why does a summer last an eternity when we are young, but fly by past the speed of sunlight now? I realise that when we are little, one season can be a big slice within the greater whole of our lifetime so far, making it feel virtually endless. And the longer we live, the smaller that slice becomes respectively, until it is little more than a sliver. It's all relative, I suppose.

But it is astounding how much it seems to fluctuate, even as the gears in the clock click and turn with such sustained precision. How odd that I can wake up on a beautiful Sunday morning, believing that the day is stretched out before me like a magic carpet, the hours long and abundant... and then so suddenly I find myself in the dark of night wondering how it was that the day just slipped right through my fingers. Just like sand through the hourglass.

Why does it feel as though Christmas happened ages ago, yet I still have little white lights around my window frame? Couldn't have been that long ago.

Why can't the ticking of my brain fall in sync with the ticking of the clock? What a trickster, that Father Time. I'm tired of being teased.

12 comments:

  1. Seems we both have tricksters but of a different kind. I know what you mean about time, the speeding up and slowing down. Never really thought about the slice being smaller as we get older but you're so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many times have days slipped by so quickly when I thought it would stretch for hours. I think as we get older we're much more aware of time passing by and want to hold onto it. Your little white lights must still look so pretty - I would just rename them Winter lights and keep them where they are. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't believe in linear time, it's all just the stories of the heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been puzzling over that lately too. In this way. When my sister comes home from work, I tell her about my day. It seems so empty when I speak it. But it feels so full in the memory of it. I like to think that it means that I am so very present.

    p.s. I had white twinkle lights on my ceiling and around my patio door year-round. It made such a lovely twinkling picture.

    ReplyDelete
  5. too often i want to just freeze time and savour the moment for always

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does it always feel this way in late January or is it extra weird this year? Time is so fascinating and it seems to be getting stranger for me. Your words and photos always touch a deep place in me.

    Happy NEW Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been struggling with this a lot in the last year. It seems as though I never have enough time to get much done even though the hours pass slowly and I fill them with activity... It is one reason among many why my own blog has seen so little activity in the past year, and why it has taken me so long to come back here and say hello. Things are pretty rough here right now, but thank you so much for staying in touch. I've missed you and your beautiful words. Sending you love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. i just wanted to pop by for a moment to tell you how much i appreciated the comments you left on my blog...

    it made me incredibly happy.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's not Father Time who teases me just now. It's Mother Nature, sometimes known as weather. One day we're sure spring has arrived. The next, it's the thawing end of winter. Oh, I do long for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, sigh...I've missed coming here and drinking in your beautiful photography and words. I hope your 2014 is going smoothly and the photography studio is humming.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss you, friend. Just saying...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just happened to come across your blog and have read through your archives. I love the way you write and the things you write about. I was sad to see you haven't written a post for a long time and wondered if you will come back to it any time soon. Hope so.

    ReplyDelete