Saturday, July 26, 2008

Building a Kindergarten with 1 Painting


As some of you know, my brother just came back from a three month trip through Africa. It wasn't just a vacation for him...he wanted to create change and he wanted to make a difference in the lives of the people he met there. I don't think he realised at the time how large his heart would grow and how important his dreams would become to him.

So, I'm putting this little nugget of goodness out into the universe (via my blog), not just because he is my brother, but because I think he is doing something wonderful...something that has the potential to change lives.

Shayne and his beautiful wife Carly are trying to help build a school in Bulungula, South Africa. While other private groups are funding other parts of the school, they have taken full responsibility for the funding of the kindergarten building, which will cost approximately $10,000 Canadian to build. 100% of the money they raise is going straight into the building of this school.

My brother is a very gifted artist. He graduated in Fine Arts at the top of his class, and has won awards and a dignified place in the arts community. In order to raise the funds needed to build this school, he is raffling off a painting. While Shayne was visiting this area, he got to know many of the the beautiful children who will be housed in this school on a deep personal level. He laughed with them, played with them, and was even given some djembe lessons from a talented 8 year old! He spent a week taking photos of these kids and created this painting from the images he gathered.

If you would like to know more about the raffle, or if you would like to donate to this cause (every tiny bit counts!) please don't hesitate to email me, and I can give you more details. If you would like to know more about the entire project, go here.

My brother has always lived his life large. He continues to astound me, and when I see how this trip has changed him, and how he wants to make life better for these children, it makes me want to do absolutely everything I can to help him. Only good things can come from it... for us, and for the beautiful people of South Africa.

13 comments:

  1. It is absolutely amazing what he is doing! I agree that only good things can come from it, these huge acts make an intense difference to people. And even the small acts too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful idea! I am off to investigate further...

    Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful painting. He's doing an amazing thing - trying to raise funds for this kindergarten building. Am going to look into this further. Thanks for spreading the word. One good deed begets another.

    ReplyDelete
  4. your brother is doing a wonderful thing and i wish him all the best in his effort.
    thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for the reminder that there are actually good people doing good things for other people in this world. sometimes, reading the headlines, it's easy to forget.

    i too fell in love with south africa when i visited. how wonderful that your brother feels so profoundly changed and moved to help.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. How proud you must be. What a wonderful, wonderful project. I will read more tomorrow & forward the info to people I know may be interested. You never know.

    And what a gorgeous painting.

    Thanks for this.
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the colour and texture in your brother's painting...

    He sounds like such an amazing person. Imagine if we all took leaps, and lived our lives like this...what would the world be like? :)

    I'm off to check out the project site.

    Thanks Jaime. This is truly inspirational.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful painting!! and what a wonderful thing he is doing .. off to check out the project site now, xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. i see that kindness and generosity is a family trait. and talent beyond what i could ever imagine! every time i take a photograph close-up to some bit of my avalon i think f you and ask myself : "how might jamie 'see' this bit of blossom though her artists eye?" you help me each ad every time. although often i wish you were right there next to me saying things like: "look over there. do you see that?" see is you can capture that in your camera."

    that is a beautiful gift your brother is giving to the world. i am off to check out the link and i will think about who i might spread the work to.
    xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. the goodness of his deed and heart have traveled all the way around the world via your blog, jaime.

    thank you to all the souls who work hard to create some space and light for others.

    ReplyDelete
  11. "sometimes, reading the headlines, it's easy to forget."

    I'm ignoring the headlines, and reading blogs each morning, getting all the news that's wonderful about the world. It's changing my view radically and makes for much hope. Only in conversation, do I catch up on some of the terrible stories, but most just aren't very important, and really do cloud the way we think.

    yours is a great place to come and sit out the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There are SO many good people out there. Thanks for sharing.

    And his idea is BRILLIANT!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you... my lovely sister.

    yes, 5 months have come and gone since you posted this, and I would have thanked you earlyer had I known of your beautiful blog. The kindergarten has now been built, and the kids laughter fills the room with each passing day.

    What a wonderful thing... the laughter of children.

    As for our project:
    The things we do for others need no award or recognition. None. Instead, what we ask for is that the positive energy we put out into the world is added to. By sharing, laughter, and a good hug.

    hugs are free... by the way.

    I love you Jaime. ;)

    ReplyDelete